The Bootstrap Broadcast – May 2018
It’s finally here. There’s just two weeks to go until the world as we know it will change….
Or rather that’s how GDPR feels sometimes, judging by some emails I’ve been receiving.
Clearly the world wont end – but any business with an email list will need to make a few changes ahead of the 25th. If you haven’t sorted it yet I’d recommend having a look at Path – it doesn’t have all the answers (I’d like to have seen extra templates) but if you do their GDPR healthcheck their system will provide you with clear guidance on each GDPR area – all for free!
The newsletter is always [I hope!] packed full of resources, courses & events to grow startups of all sizes – inspired by questions from those I teach or work with, or from things we’ve encountered at the coal face of our own startup adventures. Here’s some of the resources included this month:
Claw back some time with these tips on how to duplicate your tweets and posts without being repetitive.
We all need to design a great customer experience, not just focus on acquisition. A SaaS specific article but a strategy for all.
- [Strategy] – I am a passionate advocate for running real market tests long before we build products or invest fully to an idea – this offers great guidance on how.
- [Branding] – Great advice on how to build a consistent brand TOV across your social channels by looking at how some well-known brands have done it
- [Product] – You can grow a great brand off the back of great customer testimonials. Here are some tips on how to encourage feedback and reviews (and make them shareable).
- [Pricing] – If you’re selling B2B then read this – it explores the delicate balance required if discounting prices to make a sale.
- [Content] – For those who’ve been working a content marketing strategy, delve into this viewpoint to spur on some refinements and optimisations.
- [Social ads] – We all know we must test and adjust our adverts to improve performance but there are so many options – so here’s some advice on optimising promoted posts.
- [Emails] – Not email marketing this time, but good old emails… the scary kind… COLD emails. Written specifically about emailing investors, but valuable for sales emails too.
- [Startup story] – Love this startup story because they bootstrapped all the way – read how e-commerce spirits startup Caskers did it, and what they learned along the way.
Resources, course and events:
- [Resources] – 29 invaluable business resources from beginner to expert – here
- [Podcast] – How to have more time and not lose money – listen here
- [Books] – Not one, but lots – here are the best reads right now on digital marketing
- Why ‘Big Deals’ are dangerous – a poignant read for me this month – FIX
- 7 unexpected characteristics of top performers – FIX
- The 5 second rule to end procrastination – FIX